Pet Dog Obedience Classes in Dorset
We run separate classes for puppies and older, more experienced level pet dog obedience training.
In the summer months we also hold outdoor training sessions.
Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme
In our dog training classes we take you and your dog through all the obedience levels promoted by the Kennel Club’s Good Citizen Dog Scheme.
The aim is to teach you how to train your dog so it is happy and comfortable dealing with everyday situations, both at home and when out and about. We encourage you to take tests to gain your Bronze, Silver and Gold award levels under the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme, details of which can be seen on the Kennel Club website. (The scheme is the largest dog training scheme in the UK. Its aim is to promote responsible dog ownership, and in turn, enhance your relationship with your pet).
We encourage handlers of all ages to train their dogs and welcome young people to our classes:
KCGCDS – Bronze Level
This level of training builds on what you and your dog have learnt in the puppy foundation classes and covers basic pet dog obedience. In these classes you learn how to:
- Walk your dog on a loose lead in the hall without undue pulling
- Control your dog when going through a gate or doorway
- Socialise your dog and teach it to ignore distractions
- Get your dog to stay in place for 1 minute
- Groom your dog without it getting stressed
- Encourage your dog to be calm when you are examining it
- Make sure your dog comes when called
You also discover your responsibilities as a dog owner; cleanliness & pet identification
KCGCDS – Silver Level
Having achieved the Bronze Award, you can start learning how to train your dog ready to take the test for the Silver Award. The instruction in these classes builds on the obedience level your dog has already achieved.
Click the Play button on the video below to see some of our dog obedience exercises:
You will learn how to:
- Play safely with your dog
- Walk your dog on a loose lead outside, ignoring distractions
- Teach your dog the recall command
- Get your dog to stay in place for 2 minutes
- Control your dog when getting into or out of a vehicle
- Get your dog to return when called away from any distractions (e.g. playing with other dogs)
- Avoid your dog jumping up when meeting / greeting people
- Teach your dog good food manners, not to beg for food when you are eating
- Keep your dog calm when it is being examined (e.g by a vet)
KCGCDS – Gold Level
This is the top pet dog obedience award under the Kennel Club’s Good Citizen Dog Scheme, following on from the Silver level.
Click the Play button on the video below to see some of our pet dog obedience exercises:
In these classes you learn how to:
- Control your dog when walking outside, including control when crossing the road
- Teach your dog to walk alongside you off-lead
- Teach your dog to return and walk by your side when out and about
- Teach your dog to stay in place, even when you go out of sight
- Send your dog to its bed/mat
- Teach your dog to do an emergency stop upon command
- Teach your dog to be relaxed when left alone (avoiding separation anxiety)
- Teach your dog more food manners, waiting until told to eat (leave it command)
When & Where Are Classes Held?
Pet dog obedience and socialisation classes are held at the Sandford Community Hall near Wareham, Dorset (BH20 7BD):
Classes are held on Tuesday and Friday evenings from 7.30p.m. to 8.30p.m.
Our Classes Calendar lists all our classes.